Mother's Day "Love" Sign

OroWoodworksOroWoodworks Posts: 564 admin
I just finished making this a few hours ago.

Outer frame is wenge, the inner panel is pine, and the interior layer of the frame is lacewood with the "leopard" figure exposed. The lacewood is set inside a rabbet around the edges of the pine piece -- partly to make it easier to glue it down, and also because that provided some long grain for the shorter wenge sides to adhere to as opposed to just the end grain of the pine.

The wenge is slightly thicker than the pine, and the lacewood sits proud of both the wenge and pine.

The word "Love" is purple heart, cut out on the band saw. I only had access to a 6 TPI blade, so the cuts were very rough, and I don't have small enough files to get into many of the tight spaces...so it didn't turn out perfect, but it works. Can't really tell unless you look really close.

It is finished with Bullseye shellac buffed with paste finishing wax, then rubbed clean with some cotton rags.

ORO Woodworks
Let me know what you think of my projects!

I have been woodworking for about two years, and have learned everything I know from online sources, or trial and error (mostly error :p). Also, my grandpa taught me some things when I was really young, which is probably where the initial interest came from.

My little website.
Tagged: